The U.S. Forest Service is updating the Okanogan-Wenatchee and Colville National Forest Plans this year and recently released Draft Proposed Actions for public review through September 28, 2011. During the Draft Proposed Action review period, the Forest Service collects public input to help shape a range of alternatives to consider for their respective forest plans. Once approved, these forest plans will dictate management practices for the next 10-15 years.
The revised forest plans have the potential to radically change the way the forest is managed for a range of values including human-powered and motorized recreation, wildlife habitat, wilderness preservation and resource extraction.
If you visit the Okanogan-Wenatchee or Colville National Forests for the incredible opportunities for hiking, climbing, kayaking, mountaineering, camping, backcountry skiing, snow-shoeing, and nature study – or care about the preservation of roadless and potential wilderness areas – take the time to get familiar with the Proposed Actions and share your perspective with the Forest Service.
- Review the Draft Proposed Actions & Maps online
- Attend the only west-side open house event Saturday, August 13, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. at the Mountaineers Program Center, 7700 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle
- Join the Mountaineers and other recreation and conservation groups for a post-open house picnic and discussion August 13, 12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. at the Mountaineers Program Center. Food and beverages provided, RSVP to email@example.com.
- Attend one of two lunch-time webinars with the Forest Service August 9 & 18, 12-1:30 p.m. Details TBA.
- Submit your comments by September 28th! Submit comments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail written comments to the Colville and Okanogan-Wenatchee Forest Plan Revision Team, Okanogan Valley Office, 1240 Second Ave. South, Okanogan, WA, 98840.